At Bethany Residence, we are committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of the personal information of our residents.
What is personal information?
ďPersonal informationĒ means information that specifically identifies a resident and is collected, used and disclosed by Bethany Residence (or its staff or agents) in the course of its business activities. It does not include personal information about our employees.
Why does Bethany Residence collect, use and disclose personal information?
Bethany Residence collects, uses and discloses personal information about its residents for the following purposes:
- to determine and monitor the financial eligibility of residents and prospective residents for tenancy at our home
- to provide residents with accommodation, care, services and assistance, both within and outside the home;
- to communicate and consult about the health care of residents with their doctors and other health care providers;
- to apply for, maintain, receive and distribute subsidies from the Regional Municipality of Halton;
- to get payment for residentsí accommodation and care, including from the OHIP and private insurance;
- for administration, billing, accounting and collection issues related to a residentís account with Bethany Residence;
- for funding, administration, management, strategic planning, decision-making, research, and allocating of resources within the home;
- to share group statistics with other reputable organizations (your personal information cannot be identified from these aggregate statistics);
- to report as required or permitted by law, including but not limited to reporting to the Regional Municipality of Halton;
- for advertising and fundraising;
- to meet Housing with Related Supports program Standards, including but not limited to annual inspections of the home;
- to locate residents within the home and alert them to phone calls and appointments;
- to remind residents of appointments and other engagements by posting their names on notice boards within the home;
- for compliance with all municipal, regional, provincial, federal and other applicable laws; and
- such other specific purposes which are communicated in advance to residents by Bethany Residence.
Except when otherwise permitted by law, we will only collect, use and disclose a residentís personal information for the purposes identified to the resident. When personal information is to be collected, used or disclosed for purposes not identified, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the new purpose is identified to the resident prior to or at the time of the collection, use or disclosure.
Bethany Residence will not collect, use or disclose a residentís personal information without their consent, except in limited circumstances. Such limited circumstances shall include without limitation, when legal, medical or security reasons make it impossible or inappropriate to obtain consent from the resident.
Our residents may withdraw their consent by written notice to our Privacy Officer at any time, subject to any legal restrictions. A residentís refusal to provide, or subsequent withdrawal of, his or her consent may affect Bethany Residenceís ability to provide the resident with accommodation, care and other services. Bethany Residence will inform its residents of the implications of such withdrawal.
How do we collect personal information?
Whenever possible, Bethany Residence collects personal information directly from its residents or their substitute decision-makers. In the course of assessing and/or meeting your needs, we may obtain personal information about you from other sources, for example:
- your current health care providers;
- a government agency; or
- your accountant, banker, income sources, financial advisor or other professionals.
Limiting Collection, Use, Disclosure and Retention
Bethany Residence will retain a residentís personal information for as long as it is needed to fulfill the purposes for which it was obtained and to meet any legal requirements.
Bethany Residence strives to ensure that a residentís personal information is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
Bethany Residence endeavors to maintain adequate safeguards to protect against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification of residentsí personal information. We will protect our residentsí personal information through the use of security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
Accountability and Openness
To reach the Privacy Officer, please call 905-335-3463 or write to:
2387 Industrial Street
Burlington, Ontario, L7P 3A1
Attn: Privacy Officer
Bethany Residence will make readily available to individuals specific information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
Bethany Residence will provide its residents (or their substitute decision-makers) with access to their personal information, and inform them of the existence, use and disclosure of their personal information, upon request. A resident may correct or amend any inaccuracies in his or her personal information, as appropriate. Bethany Residence has the right to refuse a request for access to personal information under certain circumstances such as when disclosure of the information may reveal personal information about another individual or the request is vexatious or frivolous.
Our residents are encouraged to discuss any privacy questions or concerns with Bethany Residenceís Director and Privacy Officer.